Tuesday, April 13, 2010

You Say Goodbye, I Say Hello



Remember gentle reader (that means Mom) that I have only watched this episode once so this is seriously my initial reactions. Welcome back Glee. My first impressions of the episode were mixed because there were some things that caught me off guard but made sense later. I am still frazzled so some of this will not make sense to anyone but I had to get it out there.

Sue is brilliant. That is all. I will say about this. That and that I was seduced by the glitz and glamor of Showbiz.

Will – shouldn’t have made a deal you didn’t think you could keep. We know it is all about Regionals not Sectionals. Get with the script. I don’t care if there are new watchers and you are trying to get them caught up. You make Will seem dumb and scummier. I do love though that he doesn’t take his own advice until it is forced upon him.

Will & Emma – I get it. I get that he doesn’t know who he is and he is trying to figure himself out but his treatment of Emma and the way he face raped Idina was brutal and made me dislike the character. I don’t expect Will to be the White Knight but I did expect better of him than his treatment of Emma. She shared something extremely personal and caring about herself and he acted like a kid. Ray Charles could see that coming, and not on his face. I get that instant couple doesn’t work but I think he would have handled it better. How do you go to slow dancing in a living (God do I love that) to then making out with another person you just met? I don’t get it. Explain.

Terry V Emma though was entertaining. The salvo of using Will’s forgotten past as ammo against a frail Emma was delicious. It was a way of checking Emma and giving her the doubts and even the motivation to break up with Will so that he could find himself. His make out with Idina worked in that context but I couldn’t buy it in the moment.

I love the Finn – VO and his flip-flop on Rachel but I think he flipped back too soon. I would think that yes he was jealous of Johnny G but still he is a BMOC and he thinks he can get Rachel back at any moment. He would play the field more than 20 mins. before trying to get her back.

Santana and Brittany – HAWT. The cheerleaders date each other and others. This is definitely the show I want kids under 15 to watch.  that is sarcasm.

Before I get too far into the Rachel Rant I have to say I have a HUGE soft spot for Lionel Richie and the song Hello. Ironically it reminds me of someone and hearing John and Lea sing it makes me cry in my sleep because it is hauntingly beautiful. But the freaking orchestra appears from nowhere and it pisses me off. Don’t break the rules Glee. Stop it now. The song was achingly beautiful without them.

Rachel, my darling Rachel, I get you most of all. The falling into an instant relationship and then the speech that Finn gave you. I am not ashamed that I openly wept. Being on the receiving end of that speech before and having to fire back while trying to mask your pain hit too close to home. I also loved her lashing out in song and I have one for each break up. The scene with the “core” Glee clubbers and Rachel was a wee bit too intense. Look, I get being brutally honest and painful admissions. I believe the line is “I know who I am and how many chances at this am I going to get?” was way to honest to announce to a room full of people. Had she said it to Mr Shue (similar to the pilot monologue) or even to both of the girls I would get it. But, it is too much to say in front of Kurt and Artie. That was an intimate moment like the one that Rachel shares with Jesse where she says that this is something she will never get over. Haven’t we all said something like that? Nope? Just me? Ok. I will call my therapist now but Ali is sleeping.

The scene with the old maids club was ridiculous and should have ended up on the director’s floor.

I find the way that they introduced Jesse was trite. It is clearly a set up especially with him looking over Rachel’s shoulder while making out with her and seeing his choir director that looks JUST LIKE HER. Isn’t it weird that he is a senior and has been in high school in 3 years which is the last time that the choir director dated? They are pulling a Debbie LaFave.

That is all because I must go to bed. I will think more as I watch the episode probably 3 more times.

1 comment:

  1. I must say I agree with most of your initial comments.

    I still don't agree with the Emma and Mr. Schue thing so I'm glad they broke it off so it can be more believable when it does happen for real.

    I think Finn playing the field a little longer would have made for more drama and personal revelations with the whole Rachel/Johnny thing.

    I love all things Idina, but her makeout sesh with Schue was weird. I get that they're trying to expedite her backstory so the (not so) surprising reveal of her and her underage male lead will make sense. But I was kinda grossed out. And in this battlefield that is Regionals, I need Idina to be ruthless and cold, not inviting to Schue. Basically, a hot Sue Slyvester.

    I know there is only the back end of the season left, but I hope they don't go all Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows on me and cram in unnecessary exposition to avoid letting it happen organically because it will take longer.

    And can I get a "Team Santana & Brittany" shirt? I'm just saying!

    end of comment ;)

    ReplyDelete