Thursday, April 22, 2010

FB Relationship Status


I have been a Facebooker since you had to still be in college to get a Facebook account. That and the fact that I am constantly on Facebook - even when in the remote outskirts of civilization like the Australian outback or New Jersey has had a weird affect on people where they ask me how to do things. Now I am no expert but I do play one on TV. The one topic that has always come to the forefront is relationship status.

People ask me, ridiculously handsome man with impeccable hair (go with it, it is my blog), should I change my relationship status? My answer will always be the same; it don’t mean a thing unless there is a ring, Nueva or otherwise. Now I get the fact that you and your boy/girlfriend have been together for X years. Well, I turn your logic on you and say “Get engaged and make it official what are you waiting for you have been with them for X years”. That hurt didn’t it?

Here’s the deal. At the end of the day you are single. Nothing is going to change that. I don’t care if you have lived with your life partner for X years or even XI years (Hi Ali) you are single. Are you in a relationship – sure, for now. Ask yourself, self I know you are madly in love with X but can you see any reason why it wouldn’t work out? And if there is then think do you really want to broadcast the fact that you broke up? Or worse relive it when your hundreds of “friends” start messaging you with their condolences which really mean I want the gory details?

Break ups suck. We have all had that one heartbreak where it went very very very badly. The one where all of your friends knew and then the questions came a coming and a coming. Do you want to add another level where it becomes public? Think about Jen Aniston. She was one of the highest paid actresses and box office draws. Now, you can’t think of her without thinking of her being dumped by not just Brad but also John Mayer. Do you want that too?

So now it becomes what should I do?

I am all for leaving your relationship status off of the FB. Not in a Tiger Woods or Mike Nilon way but in a-it’s-not-your-damn-business-and-if-we-were-really-friends-you-would-know-business way. That way when you do get engaged because X realizes their life would be an episode of Party of Five without you then you can make an even bigger splash. Your friends, and I mean the real people you talk to, will know what is going on in your life. Everyone else is just watching a car wreck on the information super highway. So just say no to relationship status.

You are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment