Saturday, January 2, 2010

Creating Reality

It was New Years Eve and I was at work trying to create reality when the thought occurred to me tonight I am going to hear “I’ve Got A Feeling” more times in one night then I probably have my entire life. I debated posting a top ten of the decade/year and the rest of the introspective nonsense associated with this time of year when I also remembered it was time to reset the play counts on my computer. As many of you know I have a slight obsession with my iPod and music. Every year I neurotically reset my play counts to see what music I have really listened to the entire year.

There is this thing about perception and reality. You hear it all the time, “the fake it till you make it” and the rest of the dime store clichés. It got me wondering though what actually is the “reality”. I have a slightly obsessive personality and was expecting to see the list of my top 25 songs populated with things like the Glee soundtrack since it is literally the only thing I listen to. It really confused me that even with an impressive 102 listens – Glee and the mashup of Halo/Walking on Sunshine only was number 16. In fact none of my top ten were songs that were even released this year. The songs:

1. Rockstar by Miley Cyrus with 151 listens
2. Should’ve Said No by Taylor Swift with 145 listens
3. Great Escape by Boys Like Girls with 127 listens
4. You’re So Vain by Brooke White with 124 listens
5. Damaged by Danity Kane with124 listens
6. Don’t Waste Your Time by Kelly Clarkson with 118 listens
7. Picture to Burn by Taylor Swift with 118 listens
8. Fly on the Wall by Miley Cyrus with 115 listens
9. Bleeding Love (Klub Kidz Radio Edit) by the Klub Kidz with 109 listens
10. Tattoo by Jordin Sparks with 108 listens

Besides the fact I share the music tastes of a 14year old girl (hi Kelly) I wasn’t so sure what else one could learn from this list. It made me wonder though if there weren’t other things that I thought that I did but I actually didn’t do. The thing that sprung to mind is writing. I have a pretty little diploma in a frame underneath my parents’ bed that says I am a writer. The writing file on my desktop has dozen of files and subfolders that have laid dormant longer than Toni Basil’s career. So, as part of the new year, I came up with a simple thought: writers write. I am not promising the next Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs or even something worthy of being in Star magazine. I am not even sure what I will be writing about hence the name of this blog – Working Without a Script.

No comments:

Post a Comment